Monday, July 23, 2012

Zion, Pybus, New Oils And a Long and Winding Road








Well, it’s been a busy couple of weeks for Martha and me with our art and art projects.

As I have been taking photos of the ongoing work at the Pybus building and even riding by on my bike to take video of the project nearly every day for my long term Pybus project Martha has been busy with her art and getting ready to see grand kids in Texas.

In the Pybus project I am chronicling the transformation of the old steel plant into a Public Market with lots of cool shops inside. My idea with taking video from my bike is to create a movie that shows the transformation one swipe at a time as I go by left to right and right to left on my bike until the project is done and open to the public at which point I will ride my bike right into the entrance video running and show the vibrant active market place it is going to be by then.

And, as I have been riding and photographing like mad, Martha has been painting some intriguing new oils up in the oil studio. She has to have a separate studio in the house for oil painting due to the fumes. We both can work with acrylics, water colors and clay in the studio off of the den, but the oils have got to be AWAY! In any case the work she is doing is new and as I don’t go up into the oil studio every day, it was a bit of a nice surprise to do so today and see what she has been working on up there.

Last week, we went together to pick up her giant tropical birds and my steel eagle from the Icicle Arts Gallery in Leavenworth. It was a fun project but it seemed a sad end to what has been a long and winding road with these birds. Now, they are in storage till Martha makes something new out of her birds and I take on the task of recreating my eagle by stripping off all the paper Mache cardboard and such to make way for an all metal exterior. Look for this in future blogs as that project starts… hmmm… sometime ahead. We also, delivered our completed two sided painting of an old school door to the Soap Lake Art Guild at the 3rd Wednesday event last week. That was fun.

With all the bike riding I have been doing and video recording from my bike, I couldn’t help but to make a fun little video which is on Youtube called ‘Bike Surfing the Swamp’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkiHW7oY0Aw&list=UUNvpiC1XcVKVH-EiXJCMCsA&index=1&feature=plcp  . It’s pretty fun and so far everybody that has seen it tells me they like it. One viewer was so pleased after watching it she asked that I video her daughter’s wedding. The wedding was a lot of fun by the way. Another video I posted on Vimeo about a week ago is called ‘Morning Tour at Two Rivers Gallery’ https://vimeo.com/45756067 . The Director of the gallery was very pleased with this video.

The other big project I completed this past week was submitting an app for an Artist-in-Residency program at Zion National Park for next year. That project would entail producing videos of the park taken from… you guessed it, a bicycle. Let’s hope that comes through. It should be a lot of fun and a great challenge all at the same time.

Well now it’s time to get back to helping Martha with her kiln firing of the clay work of her student from the local emergency housing program.

So; bye for now and have a very artful day.




No comments:

Post a Comment