Friday, November 4, 2011

Horse Lake House, Nursery Themed Art with a Twist and Japanese Pottery






Well, it’s been another world wind couple of days and shaping up to be a busy weekend for art.

Tonight is of course First Friday in Wenatchee, but as Martha and I are to attend the Annual dinner for the Icicle Arts Gallery at the Sleeping Lady Resort, we won’t be able to walk the art walk in town. But, not wanting to miss out on the exhibits, I made a point of getting around to as many of the venues as I could to get pictures for a blog or two.

So, thinking ahead, yesterday I got out to Two Rivers Gallery and took photos of this month’s show and filled in as docent for a few hours… good thing I had the time to do so, as I made a sale of one of Milo Mirabeli’s wood sculptures and a small painting. The show looks good and I like the photos I got while I was there.




This morning I had an email from the Land Trust which stated: “ If you have visited Horse Lake Reserve, you have probably noticed the old house that sits among the aspens. Unfortunately, the dilapidated house has become a dangerous, attractive nuisance for vandals and trespassers. Due to liability and safety concerns, Pipkin Construction will take the house down next week. Thanks to Waste Management and Pipkin Construction for generous donations to help offset the cost of demolition.”   So, I figured I better get out there and take some photos before they tear the old place down. I had been out that way a few years ago and seen the old farmhouses, and barn as it was at that time. Unfortunately the time I went out there before I didn’t have a camera with me and so had no stock photos of the place.

It was a nice walk out there from the new parking lot to the old farm… a bit brisk in the morning even at 10:30, so I was glad I had another old shirt in the truck to layer on. I got some good usable photos and got to visit with Tina Duffy from the Land Trust while I was there. She confirmed for me which building was coming down and shared some info. With me about the plans to restore the big field in front of the old place to its natural state with native grasses and such.
The views from up there are great and that really makes one think of how nice it must have been to live there for the former owners back in its heyday.

A few more pics on the way down and then it was back to town for me to get photos of the venues I won’t be getting to tonight. First was a stop at the Wenatchee Valley Museum and Cultural Center.

There I visited with Bill Rietvelt and took pictures of the Menorahs and Dreidels collected by Alex and Amanda Taub. It was good visiting with Bill who did a fine job of setting up the display hearing from Brenda Abney about the upcoming show for December which will feature the 600 bronzes of the fifth graders that participated in the art day event last month with Kevin Patel. And, of course tomorrow they are hosting the Multicultural Festival from 11am to 3pm, so I’ll be back there again tomorrow.

After visiting with Bill and Brenda I was off to Amanda’s Book store but was disappointed to find she was closed… and I had a photo for her. Oh well, next time. Then I was off  to Lemolo’s, Café Mela and the Step above gallery. While at Step Above which is above the Columbia Furniture Store, I visited for quite a while with Renee’ Rogers and she gave me the tour of the art of Marcia Van Dorn who is the wife of Robert Graves for whom the Robert Graves Gallery at the Wenatchee Valley College was named for. Marcia wasn’t there, but if she had been I would have loved to have visited with her and would have relished the chance to hear her talk about her artistic take on the childhood nursery theme of some of her pieces which are clearly taking that theme into her own individual realm. Oh well, can’t be in two places at once.




After that I barely had time to stop in at Terry Johnson’s studio long enough to pick up my Japanese style vase which I had done to simulate the style of a piece of pottery I have at home that was a gift from a Japanese foreign exchange student I sponsored almost thirty years ago. The texture and glazing actually came pretty close to what I was after. And, while there Terry showed me what I was doing wrong in my effort to do a shrink wrap canvas. I did what he said and voila… Martha has a stretched canvas to paint on.

Then it was quick home to meet with the kitchen counter top guy and get my say in on choice of granite… whew!  All that and a bag of chips and just enough time to write this blog and get ready for tonight.

 I’ll have another blog to share tomorrow.




5 comments:

  1. the Horse Lake house you have photographed was my Uncle Neds House. It's scheduled to be torn down this next week because of vandalizm. :(

    I have so many fond memories of the house and property as a child. In heavy snowfall we'd have to park at the gate and walk in...I remember Christmas morning being carried in by my parents to the main house where my grand parents lived, then playing duck duck goose with my sisters in the yard between the two houses - Uncle Ned, a self proclaimed bachelor would always come over a little later and have dinner with us.
    I remember him as a quite hardworking individual who helped with all the work on the farm. The hill next to his home was a terrific sledding hill and where I tried ski's for the first time (just one, my sister had the other :)) There is so much history on this property that has not been shared...it was a place that my family called home. The house is a ghost of it's former glory. If you have a chance to see it before it's destroyed take a look at the details in the construction of the house. It was built by craftsmen with love and was beautiful in it's day. It's sad to see it go. Thank you for sharing your photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment and history

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Wendy,

    I took several photos and will try to get video of the tear down. From you comments it sounds like I would do well to try to get some interior shots before then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a little known information about the property, the land, 600 acres, was purchased by my Great Grandfather Herbert Barnhill about 1900. It is called Cherry Springs Ranch. He worked for Burlington Northern Railroad at the time and they (the Railway) owned all the land within 10 miles of the track. He built the photographed house in 1904 and subsequently built the other house on the property in 1911. He passed the ranch to my Grandfather, Floyd Barnill and my mother and three sisters were raised there. My Grandfather sold the ranch in either 1977 or 1978. I'm not sure exactly which year. Unfortunately this information isn't reflected in any of the history posted at the trailhead, but is an important part of the property's history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Wendy. I think that history would be so good to be posted there at the site with a picture of the 1904 house. Perhaps the Land Trust will do that one of these days... that would be nice.

    ReplyDelete