Monday, November 7, 2011

Volunteering, Art Demonstrations, Dancers, Art Cards and Videos






Well, things are progressing in the various art and art related projects that Martha and I are involved in.

Friday night we attended the annual dinner for the Icicle Arts at the Barn Beach Reserve in Leavenworth. It was a very enjoyable evening. As we ate and enjoyed conversing with our table guests we were pleasantly surprised to see, on the screen which was showing various slides of events of the past year and some art photos as well, a photo of one of Martha’s signature works “Flowering Consciousness” appear. That was nice. Later there was some discussion of a possible Martha Flores Show. We will keep our fingers crossed on that. But, if it happens, it may be in the early part of 2012… yahoo! That would be just great. We’ll keep you posted on that.

Martha was a busy gal on Saturday volunteering at the Wenatchee Valley Museum and Cultural Center’s Multicultural Festival. There she represented Guatemala with some of her art depicting the people of Guatemala in traditional garb. While there she was also involved in helping kids to make paper flowers and painting maracas.

While Martha was busy with kids and adults for that matter upstairs I went around and gathered photos of some of the other exhibitors and wrote down some info about what they were presenting and quick ran downstairs in time to get some photos and videoof two of the dancing groups before I had to leave to attend a memorial. Later that evening I posted a couple of short clips of a Japanese fellow playing a traditional Japanese stringed instrument called a Sanshin Japanese exchange student playing a Sanshin instrument and of a troop of Middle Eastern Dancers Middle Eastern Dancers at Multicultural Fest  from the festival. That reminds me I need to send a link to that video to the dancing group.

Yesterday while Martha recouped from her long day at the Museum, I headed out to help with the sale and pottery demonstration at Terry Johnson’s studio at Terry Signs in Wenatchee.

I got some good photos and video of him demonstrating how he works with clay both in making non-traditional sorts of clay objects and in throwing a pot on a potter’s wheel. That was great.

Today, I was up at the crack of non-daylight savings time dawn, ordering new Martha Flores Studio business and pricing cards so we will have them in time for the Dancing Artist demonstration Martha will be doing at the NUART Gallery in East Wenatchee on Nov. 26th… the day after ‘Black Friday’ on Thanksgiving weekend. That should be a lot of fun but I’m sure it will be quite tiring for Martha. She loves it though. This event should give people a good look at what goes into the painting of an oil, or most likely an acrylic, painting in a fun and entertaining way. I missed the event at the Marriott where Martha was first asked to paint while dancing, so I am really looking forward to being there and getting some good video of her in action.



After designing and ordering the card, I took a few picture of the custom order clay figure Martha has been working on. It’s been drying for a few days now and is getting close to being ready to bisque fire in the kiln. Today, I will put it in the kiln at very low temperature to finish drying it out before I do the actual firing. If all goes well this piece could end up in the new Quincy Library. The opening for that is coming up soon I understand, so I really need to get that going and done.

Having looked at the photos and video of Terry Johnson clay work demonstrations yesterday, it looks like I’ll have enough to make a good little video on clay work. It’s pretty cool of Terry to offer to demonstrate clay work as he does for anyone willing to take a chance and get their hands a bit messy. Oh, on that note… the decorative bowl I started working on after I completed my Japanese styled vase broke when I accidentally put a little too much pressure on it as I was sculpting some shapes on the side. So; back to the drawing board.  I’ll get another going in the next day o two.

I received an email from Dominick B. this morning asking if I would like to write a contributing piece for the Wenatchee Valley Museum and Cultural Center’s Blog.  There’s another interesting and challenging new task. We will see if I can come up with a good article for the WVMCC blog.

Now, it’s time to get work firing some student art projects from martha's class at the emergency housing facility, and then I need to get myself psyched up to build a web site for Martha. Everyone we talk to asks “what is your web site address”, “Can I see your work online”, “can I order prints of your work online” etc… So; it is back to that as well. There are a few preliminary steps I think that I need to complete first on that.

Till the next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment