Friday, December 9, 2011

Mountain Spirit Winning Bidder, Happy Feet, and Living The Good Life




Well, it’s been a full and interesting week for us in our artistic activities this past week.  Of course last Saturday and Sunday, we had our home art show and open house which was well worth the effort. We weren’t sure how well we would do given that we just had the Dancing While Painting event the weekend before. But, in the end all was good.

And, as if the whole home art show thing wasn’t enough, no sooner had the last visitor left on Sunday, when it was time to get the kitchen ready for the contractors to come tear it all apart the next day. There really is no rest for the weary.  That done, it was back to work on the glazing and firing of the small test sculpture as a prelude to the firing of the large sculpture Martha has been working on for the Quincy Library.
                                                                                                
Come Monday morning while the workers were tearing up the kitchen, Martha was being interviewed by Susan Lagsdin for an article that will run in one of the most prestigious publications in the area ‘The Good Life’. Martha and Susan had a very nice visit as I understand as I was out seeing clients that day.  And, even though I was busy all day, I was able to get into Terry Signs briefly between appointments to trim the edge of the bowl I am working on there ( He was working on some pretty awsome stuff of his own while I was there). Several days for my bowl to fully dry and it’ll be time to fire that puppy up and hope it hangs together. The last one I did broke as I was sanding some rough spots before I even got it into the kiln. I really have to watch that bull in a china shop thing when working with such delicate materials.

Through the rest of the week I finished up the firing of all the little Christmas ornaments and such made by the residents of the emergency housing program that Martha does art with. Meanwhile, on another project, I was able to track down the winning bidder who bought Martha’s  ‘Spirit of the Mountain’ oil on canvas that she donated to the Wenatchee Performing Arts Center for their Festival of Trees Auction a while back. I was interested to get a photo of the piece and the new owner… a lovely lady named Marti Gonzales, who I was able to get together and visit with this week. She is one happy lady as she knows she really scored in getting that piece.

Click here to purchase a print.
Also, this week another lovely lady picked up the giclee’ canvas print of ‘Flowering Consciousness’ that she ordered earlier in the week. She was so very happy her feet just wanted to dance like she did while watching Martha paint last week. She was so eager to hang her new 24”x36” giclee on her wall at home, she could hardly wait. The original of this piece is of course quite a bit bigger at 48”x 60” and I should add, a bit pricy.

Last night, was a busy night for both of us as Martha was involved with the Playback Theater production at the Columbia Elementary School in Wenatchee while I was at a board meeting for Two Rivers Gallery that Martha and I are members of. There, I learned that Martha will be the Featured Artist for the months of January and February. Previously she had been scheduled to be Featured Artist for the months of March and April. That had seemed really special for Martha as her birthday is in that range. But, those months will now have no featured artist instead being an anniversary show allowing greater exhibition of all the members work. This is intended to give something back to the membership at large who don’t all get to be featured artist. We board members really want to show our appreciation to all the contributing / supporting members of our local Co-op gallery.



All that being accomplished for the week, it was off to the airport this morning so Martha can get to Texas to spend time with the Texas grandchildren before heading to California to meet up with me for Christmas with the Cali. Grandchildren. I sure hope those contractors get this kitchen back together before I leave… if they don’t YIKES!  
I don’t even want to think about that.

Well, enough for now. Have a very artful day.




No comments:

Post a Comment