Thursday, March 15, 2012

Coral, Diver, Seal and Eagle of Steel


Well, while Martha has been busily working on her teaching projects at various local schools and at the local emergency housing program and making giant birds and flowers for a float in the upcoming Apple Blossom Parade, I have been finishing up my  Seal and Diver sculptures.

And, for those who only last saw the Seal and Diver while they were being created at Terry Johnson’s studio I can tell you “Yes they are done” and now it is simply a matter of finishing the Coral Reef that will serve as the mounting stand for the Seal.

Meanwhile, as I have been waiting for the Coral Reef to dry sufficiently to fire in the kiln, I began the long awaited American Bald Eagle assignment for the same parade float as the colorful birds that Martha and co. have been working on. I have affectionately dubbed my bird the “Steel Eagle” as it is made from ¼ inch steel rods formed together with a combination of baling wire, spot welding and yes that all American favorite Duct Tape.

In fact the outer skin as it is at this moment is also of a light weight duct tape. More will go on top of the tape skin to finish the look for this project. But, for now it looks a bit more like a 747 than an eagle in some respects. No insult to Boeing intended.

Later this morning, I will be volunteering at our local co-op gallery Two Rivers Gallery in Wenatchee, after which I will meet up with Martha and head on out to the town of Quincy where she will be teaching yet another art class this evening. That should be fun.

While I’m there, if it’s not too late, I might get over to the Quincy Library and take a measurement of the smaller of the two sculptures Martha created for the new library. The sculpture in question really should have a bit wider of a mounting plate than the one the library folks placed under it.

Tomorrow, I should be able to get back to filling out the paperwork for Martha to have her art in a gallery on the west side of the mountains. Summer is coming and that is really the time to best think of transporting her large pieces over the passes and to being able to attend art walks and receptions and such over there.

Well, enough for now and back to researching and planning for my next art project… think giant lava lamp.






2 comments:

  1. There's some good diving in Seattle, I hear... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that too. Hey I have an idea... check email I'll write it there.

    ReplyDelete