Friday, October 26, 2012

Blonds and Penguins, Heavy Metal, New Media and Kickstarter Video


 

 

 
Well, it’s been a busy and productive week for Martha Flores and me.

Artistically, Martha has continued to refine her new works like the ‘Blonds and Penguins’ acrylic on canvas and I, having been inspired by my recent success in selling new art on new media like metal, have been working on image transfer processes to media such as metal, tile and canvas.


So far I’d have to say that Bonny Lhotka’s digital seminars make it look much easier than it is. But, I may get it right yet… like anything it takes practice. And, along this line I have been getting to know the heavy metal cutting equipment of my good friend the wonderfully creative artist Terry Johnson. With the right equipment any job becomes easier.

Which brings me to my heavy metal project… the completion of the Steel Eagle project, or should I say the conversion of the Steel Eagle project.  Some readers may recall that in the early part of the year Martha and me put together a float for the 2012 Washington State Apple Blossom Grand Parade. And, as part of that project we created several giant birds for the float.  Martha created several tropical birds while I build a giant Steel Eagle. And, although the eagle’s internal structure was build of ¼ inch steel rods welded and tied together with bailing wire, the skin was mostly duct tape, cardboard and paper Mache’ all covered with hundreds upon hundreds of individually cut feathers made from paper.  

All, of that worked well for the parade float both in terms of time and weight (the eagle had to be lifted and place on the top of the highest point on the float (think 2x4 frame covered with plywood). But, the dream which is now a goal with a foreseeable outcome has always been to have an entirely metal eagle. And so, the plan now is to remove the cardboard, paper Mache’ and duct tape and create a metal skin and individually cut metal feathers. The additional equipment and materials cost enough that I have decided to develop a Kickstarter proposal with accompanying video to generate interest and find backers for the project.

To this end I put together the initial materials list and priced out the tools and materials at our local Lowes and took video along the way. I also, took video at the studio (Terry Johnson’s) where I will work on the project. I’ve never put together a Kickstarter proposal or this type of video before; so I was quite pleased to meet a young fellow named Robert at the local after hour’s business meet and great who does just that. That is he puts together grant proposals. Currently he is working on a proposal to get funding for painting murals in South Wenatchee as part of an anti gang program. Now, that’s a great idea. He was, also, very interested in my Steel Eagle project and offered to introduce me to a local business person who could be a help in this project.

And, as though, all of that were not enough, while I was taking video of metal and tools and meeting and greeting folks that could help with the Steel Eagle, Martha was at an all day Washington State Arts Commission conference in Seattle with her good friend Selina Danko who works for the Wenatchee Valley Museum and Cultural Center and who writes grants for the Wenatchee Arts Consortium.  This is the group that has put on some really great art programs for kids in our local schools which Martha has been involved with over the past few years.  thinking of Martha in Seattle, I took the time to play a bit with one of my Seattle shots taken from Beacon Hill last year.

Meanwhile, I put together a new zip file art portfolio for Martha including pieces such as her "Imerging woman" oil on Canvas, to send off to a gallery near you. Let’s hope for the best on that.

Well, that is probably enough for now… I’m exhausted just thinking about all of this myself. Think creative and have a very artful day.




No comments:

Post a Comment