Sunday, September 18, 2011

Heavey Metal Horse, Dancing Artist, On the Radio and Waterwheel Gone Dry






Well, Friday and Saturday were interesting days for Martha and I for art and art related activities. In the morning on Friday, I worked on some new digital art and contacted the director of the Cashmere Museum to follow up on our conversation of a few weeks ago about producing some post cards for the museum. He is interested and has some ideas and some old postcards they used to sell that he’d like me to take a look at. He, also, let me know that the work they were doing around the pioneer village / General Store is done and the caution tape is out of the scene. Which meant it was good to go back and get some photos of that without the darn caution tape ruining the shots.

Around that same time I received an email from Paul, the fellow in the town of Liberty who had me make up a bunch of post cards for him to sell to the tourist up there. He wants more pics from the concert up there and to schedule a time for me to take some new pictures for him. So; a printing I did go, with the plan to drop them off at Terry Signs for him to pick up the next time he is in Wenatchee.  Some of these shots from the party are pretty good, but I would have liked them a lot better if I had taken them with my own camera. As it happened back at the day/night of the concert, I used up the last of my memory shooting video of the band Rusted Souls and had to shoot a few stills for Paul with his  p/s camera.

Having printed up a few of these shots for Paul and having worked on my digital art a bit more, it was time to take Martha out to her scheduled interview on the La Super Z Spanish language Radio Station. First we stopped in at two Rivers Gallery where we visited with Russ and I shot some pics of Martha by her ‘I am the Earth’ painting.  This was fun, especially when I could get Martha to do a little dance for the camera. Photos of Martha are always best when I can catch her being playful and not posing for the camera. This was fun. Then it was off to the Radio station where I got a pic of her as she was heading into the KPQ building.

While Martha was being interviewed on the radio I took the prints over to Terry Signs for Paul and took a few candid shots of him and his wife Karen who happened to be there to keep him on the straight and narrow  (just kidding) while he was creating wonderful new works of art.


He’s onto some interesting new stuff on the wine bottle theme.

 After all this fun in town it was time, alas, to pick-up Martha and get to some real work. For this meeting Martha was needed to translate for me and after we were done, we were both too tired to head on over to the Fiestas Mexicanas at Lincoln Park. I had hoped to go there and see if they were still using the large mural sized unstretched canvas painting s that Martha had done for the festival about ten years ago when it was called the Fiestas Patrias in commemoration of the revolutions that lead to the independence of Mexico and several other Latin American nations from Spain. It would have been nice to get some photos of these, if they still use them, as I no longer have or know where I have photos of those paintings.

Saturday, was a very full day indeed. First I traveedl to Manson by Motorcycle, to do a follow up meeting there, then, back to Wenatchee to photo Martha and the other giant puppets at the Taste of the Harvest Festival. Unfortunately by the time I got there she had already left her Native American Indian Woman outfit aside to go and get ready to teach her afternoon clay modeling class at the Cashmere Arts and Activities Center.

 I snapped a picture or two of the puppets and checked out the event. My good friend Rebecca Barrett and her husband John were working at a booth that was selling jewelry made by young girls in India who had been rescued from a life of enslavement for immoral purposes. So, of course I bought some pieces for gifts.

Then it was off to Cashmere to meet up with Martha and help her with her class.  As I parked out front, the police were just leaving. It seems that Vic Dietering the docent for the day didn’t know how to shut off the alarm. As it was it went off again, so; it was good I arrived when I did to shut it off.
Once Martha got there and started her class, I got photos of the class and of some of the work of her students. I am particularly impressed with the development of her student Rebecca Calkins. Becky is really coming along and doing some very impressive work.

While in Cashmere I dropped off Gallery brochures at Country Boys BBQ and the Village Motel. The new owner of the motel wants to see some more of my photos for possible post cards to sell there.  And, finally I was off to the Cashmere Museum to take some more photos of the waterwheel and the General Store. I was lucky enough to meet Fred the grounds keeper who turned on the water wheel for me.

 It hadn’t been run for a month or so, and so it was bone dry. I took photos any way… some of which are pretty good. But; he asked if I would come back today (Sunday) in the afternoon.

By then, he was sure he could have water actually running in the waterwheel which hopefully will make for some even better photos complete with water splashing out of the scoops. We shall see. Let’s hope it works and the photos that come out of the next visit are worth it.

Well, enough for now and let’s all have a very artful day.




1 comment: