Thursday, September 8, 2011

I'll Gladly Pay on Tuesday for... Raku Glass and the Midnight Plane from Texas






Well, yesterday was quite the day for art and art related activities. First thing in the morning 8:30 am it was time for the monthly post First Friday meeting of the WFF at CafĂ© Mela in Wenatchee. A lot of discussion of flyers and posters, self printing per venue vs. a group paid printing… also, the expansion of the WFF from just the core of the ‘Old downtown’ to a broader area was actually voted on and decided. Sadly one of the members will d/c participation for the time being… that being Pak-It-Rite…


oh well, maybe in the spring. It was a lot of fun going in there with the bicycle riders for the August First Friday event, which made for a fun video


Then it was to my new favorite morning thing to do which is riding the loop with Dr. Ed Farrar and the ‘B’ Team riders whom Jan Cook Mack will be painting a mural of in the spring. Having completed my ride, I headed over to Terry Johnson’s to see what he was up to and to look at what we can do about trying to get that melted glass out of the stainless steel bowl that I over cooked, so to speak, allowing the glass to fill the bottom third of the bowl in such a way that it seems pretty impossible to get it out.
He had an idea and we put it in the kiln to see if it would work.  I had a lot of other work to do for the day and couldn’t stay but planned to pop over  later if I could work it in.

Having completed some important work at home, I packed up some medium to small framed prints of Martha’s paintings to take over to the NUART Gallery in East Wenatchee. Gary Doane the owner is now carrying a small number of Martha’s prints in the gallery. Gary is really nice guy and by coincidence one of his employees knew Martha from the art work projects she has down locally with kids and families in the emergency housing program. It had taken her a bit the day before to catch on that the art I was bringing in was by the same person. But, when it gelled it was funny and sort of like ‘old home week’ or something… even though Martha wasn’t there with me.


Having installed the framed prints at NUART it was off to Wenatchee again, where I checked in on the glass / steel bowl project. Terry had taken it out and tried to get the glass to come out and so did I. No go! My next approach is to fire it at home at high temp and try to get the glass to melt out into a Raku fired bowl. This could produce something new and interesting, or just become a big mess that I will have no fun cleaning up. We shall see.

 While at Terry’s I did take a pic of his latest 2d creation and of the characters hanging out at his studio and sign shop. There are always some characters hanging out there. I had a few more matted but unframed prints of Martha’s art in the back of the car and knowing Terry has a collection of new and used frames in the store room there, I browsed through the collection and low and behold I found a perfect fit for one of Martha’s prints… Yahoo! 

Don’t worry, Terry, I’ll gladly pay you on Tuesday for that frame today. No seriously I’ll get that refreshment to you ASAP.

Having picked up the glass and steel bowl to work on at home, I headed out to prepare for the arrival of Martha who was coming in on the Midnight plane from not Georgia but Texas. I really needed to organize all the art and art project materials I have been working on which… just seem to find their way into everything while Martha is away. Having done with that it was time for the monthly Board meeting of Two Rivers Gallery.

These meetings are important and necessary, but as with all such meetings, they can seem to carry on a bit too long. It was good to hear that First Friday had done so well and kudos were given for all the things that so many of the board members and members at large had done over the month to further the improvement and success of the gallery.  Martha had called while I was in the meeting and was at SEATAC waiting for her flight to Wenatchee, so as soon as the meeting was over I zipped home to put the last few art project bits and pieces away before heading to the airport to pick her up. Hey Na Hey Na my Martha  is back.                                                                                         (Terry Johnson's glass and Martha's prints)

Well enough for now, and a pleasant and artful day to you all.








No comments:

Post a Comment