Friday, September 2, 2011

Fantastic Woodwork, Fine Art and that Famous Cashmere Bronze Hog


Well, yesterday was my day to gallery sit at Two Rivers Galery.  So, instead of riding from East Wenatchee on bike to meet up with Ed Farrar and the ‘B’ Team to ride the loop. I drove over with bike in the back of the car and my computer and camera up front.  I got there early and took photos of the new show with particular emphasis on the wood sculptures of
Milo Mirabelli

and the

 oil paintings of Ruth Couraud Mattson. Of course I got some good pic of the other fine art work and photography in the gallery.  Then, after a really beautiful morning ride with the group, I opened up the gallery and took my computer in with me so I could get some work done while I was there. It’s usually pretty slow there in the morning.

As it turned out John Barrett was there working on a new lighting system for one of the two front rooms. I was glad it was him and not me as it looked like a real pain of a job… have at it John. I should add that he seemed to be doing a fine job of it.

While I was there a few folks dropped by and I was able to let them know about our First Friday exhibit which is tonight. Some gallery members came by, and I gave them some info on the Two Rivers Facebook page and my two blogs and Youtube page which they were interested to know about but knew nothing of until yesterday. This underscored to me how we at the gallery need to do better at getting the word out to our members about such things for the artist community of Two Rivers Gallery.

Also, while I was there, Mr. Mirabelli himself dropped by. It was very interesting talking with him. I wish we could have chatted more, but shifts were changing and things were going on and then I had to leave. His work is really phenomenal. It’s hard to imagine the precision with which he cut and polished the wood pieces that he has on display. It was fascinating to find out that though he lives here in Wenatchee, he had his studio in Greys Harbor for many years and has his work in galleries across the country. I really want to spend some more time with him and learn more about he and his art. Perhaps I’ll have the chance at First Friday tonight.

Meanwhile, by popular demand, I did get to and finished the task of putting together this year’s Martha Flores Art Calendar and ordered them from the printer. Anyone interested should let me know soon as there will be a limited supply and they will surely all be gone by the time the yearly calendar turns to 2012.

On my way back from Wenatchee, I stopped in to see Terry Johnson at his studio. He is working on something totally knew… a floral painting. But, in that unique Terry Johnson style. I won’t say anything more about that till it’s done and I take a photo of it. It’s fun watching it in production take it’s ever evolving form. While there, I went into the back room where Terry keeps some frames and mattes to look around. I found a matt that I thought would be perfect for one of Martha’s pieces… a large Spirit of the Forest print.

We had only one print made of this. When I got home it was perfect for the print and only had to be trimmed on the outer (straight cut) perimeter to fit into the frame that it would go in. Got it done and Martha will be happy about that when she gets back from Texas on Wednesday.

This morning I’ll be off to Leavenworth to take photos of the rest of the recycled art pieces in the Icicle Gallery and at the Sleeping lady Resort. That should be fun and then to the Cashmere Museum to hopefully get Fred the head Groundskeeper to fire up (if that’s the right term) the






Waterwheel per Dean Rainey the Museum Director, to get some photos of it in action with water falling from it and glistening in the sun.



 I’ll attempt while I am there to get some photos of the general store exhibit from a different vantage point to see if I can get a good shot without the construction work barricade and yellow tape getting into the picture. I might just have to come back in a few weeks for that when the work is done.

All this for the Cashmere Town and Museum post card project I am working on… I hope it goes well and the Museum starts selling my postcards. Besides the Museum shots so far I also have some cool pics of that famouse Bronze Hog at a local BBQ joint in town. It's quite the attraction there for tourists to take photos of their kids climbing all over it.

Well, enough for now. It’s time to get ready to either ride with the ‘B’ Team and then head to Leavenworth… or take the bike out to Leavenworth and ride out there before I photo the art… hmmm… decisions descisions. It’s all good and I’ll let you know in my next blog what I decided.

 








1 comment:

  1. Oh, we'd love another calendar! I certainly delight in the one we have. My goodness... what ever happened to our plans to come over to your neck of the woods? We keep ourselves pretty tired out by teachin' scuba all day and all night, I guess.

    ReplyDelete