Thursday, August 4, 2011

Secrets Going Viral, Naked Raku, Extreme Talent and the Bicycle First Friday Art Tour


Well, Martha has been working away like crazy on her clay projects. She has completed two new masks that are in the vein of her

‘The Earth Is Me’ theme and a full body figure at rest. They really look good. Now we just need to give them plenty of time, so I can fire them in the kiln without having them explode. In the last week or so, I fired a few pieces from the kids at the emergency housing program a little too soon and one that was very thick exploded and damage a couple of others in the kiln. Martha was able to reconstruct them for the povrecitos.

Meanwhile, all is going ahead full for Martha’s project with the ‘Day of El Salvador’ project which will be Saturday at the Wenatchee Valley Museum and Cultural Center. She tried to get Selena Rose to perform for the show, but she has another engagement at the Performing Arts Center in town. And, Speaking of Selena Rose, the video I made of her singing ‘secrets’  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dfUSLu_M68&feature=channel_video_title   and which I published on Youtube has taken on a second life. It seems that only just now it has been discovered by an audience of folks I didn’t email the link to myself.

On a similar vein, I wrote a blog that went into the Wenatchee World online http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/weblogs/arts-in-the-valley-and-beyond/2011/aug/01/great-talents-abound-and-great-shows-coming-up/ that they are now going to publish in the hard copy of the paper. When I found out about that, I sent links to the blog to various pertinent sites online and low and behold the readership of that blog exploded on Tuesday.

Aside, from writing blogs and publishing movies, I have been busy with my own art projects.
My sand blasted fish came out pretty well and looks good backlit in the window of our studio. The Naked Raku pot came out pretty interestingly as well. I think I’ll do some more experimentation with the whole raku and naked raku thing. Martha expressed some interest in having me fire some of her pieces with that effect. I think she’s onto something there.



On another note, Bill Rietveldt from the museum emailed me requesting some pics of the
 giant puppets for the First Friday event they have going on at the Museum tomorrow night and then yesterday asked about some video as well. I need to get back to him on that.  And, again with the video thing, my video of the Bicycle Art tour of Wenatchee video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSSn-RkIpjM&feature=channel_video_title is also become a local favorite, and has contributed to the movement to do a Bicycle First Friday Art Tour of the various venues involved with the First Friday Art Walk here in Wenatchee.

Yesterday, I received an email from the local bike club asking me to ride with them tomorrow night to do the art ride. I really want to do that and to make a new video from that ride. Unfortunately, I have been having a persistent problem with the rear wheel of my bike and all efforts to fix the problem on my own have failed, so today I took the offending wheel and tire into Second Wind bike shop to let them work on it. If, I’m lucky maybe I’ll be able to do that ride tomorrow… let’s hope.

Also, yesterday, I began working up the submission form for my recycled materials art project for this year’s Icicle Prize up in Leavenworth.

Now, I need to write up a bio and description for that. Ahhh… so much to do and so little time to do it, as today, I have to go to the Cashmere Arts and Activities Center in Cashmere, to help install the Charles Collins 2d work that just arrived yesterday. I wish we could do it earlier as it is going to go on into the evening but… there you have it.

 Yesterday, I also, received confirmation that we will have a PSA announcement on three local radio stations KOZI, KZAL, and KOHO, for the Charles Collins opening and reception

which will be on Saturday July 13th in Cashmere.  I’ve also been working on a press release for the Cashmere Record for the show and another publically thanking the Cashmere Community Foundation for the new carpet they purchased for the gallery in Cashmere. We’re really happy about that new carpet.

Well, I think that’s probably enough for now, even though there is plenty more to write about.




No comments:

Post a Comment