Friday, May 13, 2011

BLOG ON and Saving the Earth






Well, finally the Blogger.com site is back up and running. And not a minute too soon. I have been wanting to blog on the Rod and Martha’s Art Blog for two days now.  Some fun and some serious updates. Yesterday was a day of meetings, meetings, meetings. And, all or most about art.
First thing in the morning was a meeting about how to effectively use the internet for promoting our First Friday events. I learned some new stuff about using facebook effectively… thanks Dominick. Later it was meetings about setting up some new  web presence for a friend and working on that in the afternoon. Then, it was  consulting with the director of the Cashmere Arts and Activities Center Gallery about the upcoming show to open tomorrow night featuring some really good work by the Cashmere High senior art students and the 3rd graders as well.  Then last night an interminably long board meeting for Two Rivers Gallery. It was productive and it was good to see some board members there that haven’t been there for awhile, but geez three plus hours c’mon, that’s really cutting into my Discovery Channel watching time and wine tasting. Just kidding.
Today it was great to find as I read yesterdays paper (didn’t have time to read it last night with that bored meeting) that there was a nearly half page picture of Martha laughing out loud inside her Giant Puppet as she danced her way down the street in the grand Parade last Saturday. If I’m not mistaken the photo is one that I took myself and forwarded on to the photo dept of the Wenatchee world.  Kudos for me again.
Then this morning finally with some time and inspiration, I got around to working on some of my own art projects. One is a piece I have had in the back of my mind for awhile, and then it finally came together as a developed concept for this summer’s Icicle Prize art contest. All the entries are to made from recycled materials. I got my design and materials together and just need to make the final attachments and it’s good to go.
I also cut some plexi - glass for a custom frame project I am working on for one of my abstract photos. Same too for a custom matt for a musical themed photo I am hoping to sell to the owner of one of the music stores here locally. Now it’s to the hardware store to get some materials to secure the metal portions of recycling art project to the wood portion of the project. I think it’s a great use of these old materials… square chrome frames that used to be pull down glass holders for recessed lights in our den arranged strategically on the features of an old mural that Martha and the foster kids had painted years ago on the cheap plywood doors I had made for the selves in the only unfinished store room in our house.
So, it is recycled all the way. I will even leave the old hinges on the door panel for effect. The great thing is that I was able to find one of these panels that had a face of the earth feature in it…great. So, using the chrome frames to frame that face and make a chrome body on the earth showing that to save the earth we have to make better use of our old things rather than just throwing them away. That’s the idea anyway. Let’s hope it comes out as good as I am envisioning and does well in the competition.




No comments:

Post a Comment