Monday, May 16, 2011

Chrome and Mother Earth Blame It On La Rain

Well, I think we can say we got a few things done artistically over the weekend. Friday I put together my large 2.5d art piece on the theme of saving the earth made completely with on hand recycled materials. I used an old plywood panel that used to be a homemade door to storage space in our storage room downstairs. Martha and the foster kids used to paint on it. Each time we would get a new foster kid they would add to the accumulating mural on this and the other door panels down there.
I had taken them down some time back as they had become more of a hindrance than a help anymore. To this one panel which had some tropical forest images and a Martha-esc mother earth face in the forest, I attached seven chrome frames that had been for recessed lighting in our downstairs TV room and pool table area. I put two of them in diamond configuration around the face and the rest as forming a body over the mural of the earth forest scene. Recycling man made materials and to show that the materials eventually go back to the earth I painted the little springs that used to allow the chrome frames to drop down from the ceiling in order to replace light bulbs, to match the mural behind the frames. Even the screws I used were old screws I had lying around. No new materials were purchased for this piece and no toxic materials such as glues or adhesives of any kind were used. That done I put it under the overhang of the garage roof just before the weekend of rain began.
I also got two of my art photos framed up and had to create a matt for one of them. It has a musical theme so I ended up creating this grunge sort of matt for it. It might not be for everyone, but the buyer of this kind of piece could like that. I may change it though.
Saturday after selling used stoves from my apartments to the second hand appliance guy in town, I took the framed up musical themed art photo to the newly remodeled music store in Wenatchee. I chatted it up with the guys there until the owner who turned out to be Steve Clemm the prosecuting attorney of Douglas County… I never knew he was a musician and music store owner till then.
Steve looked at the piece with some apparent interest, but alas didn’t buy it…saying that it was the slow time yada yada and implying that having just spent BIG bucks on the new building that $150 for an art piece was a bit stiff.  Seems a bit shaky there Steve.
After this I went across the street to Terry Johnson’s studio, where he was working on some really great new ceramics. One is what is shaping up to be a very elegant and tall pot which he has painter Picasso on. He has done well before with a Picasso themed painting that sold at the gallery in Cashmere not too long ago. While there he showed me a new kiln he just acquired. I think that brings it up to about 13 kilns that he has. He asked me to change out the plug on the chord for him so it would be compatible with his outlets…
Later it was home to get ready for Saturday night’s opening of the art show at the Cashmere Arts and Activities Center. I took the new art photo down there and my lap top so I could live stream the opening. I actually was successful in livestreaming the entire show including quite a bit of the live musical performance of Mary Mendenhall as well as walking around the show and speaking with the patrons and interested parties while broadcasting around the world. I really like Mary’s rendition of “The Rose” from the movie of the same name made famous by Bette Midler in the late ‘70s. Her playing of the mandolin for this piece was perfect for the song.
Sunday I tried to make a movie from the video that was recorded by Livestream… no go on that. And, in downloading it from Livestream I lost it apparently to the Livestream library…. Argh…. And, still all the video clips and movies I have placed into the Art News Network, are still not showing up as available to other to watch from the site. I need to follow up with Livestream help on that. Maybe for that function one has to buy the more advanced Livestream program vs. the free one I use…I dunno. I did get a Wenatchee World Blog done and added some photo material to the Wenatchee First Fridays site as an administrator. However, I was a bit frustrated in that none of the photos from Saturday night could be used for the Wenatchee World Blog. Every time I tried to upload one of those pics, the window came up saying page unavailable. When I tried to add pics from other locations no problem. I’m thinking that the pics from that particular memory stick got corrupted somehow. They look fine on my screne but couldn’t add to Arts in the Valley and Beyond Blog. We shall see if I able to add any of them to this blog. If not then, that memory stick is a gonner. If so, then maybe it was just a glitch with the other blog site… I dunno.
Martha and I were house bound all day as it turned out on Sunday due to the freaking rain. Geez… it seemed like we were having Seattle weather… all..day…long.  But, we stayed in and got some art stuff done. I updated the art book I have been working on… adding some more art pics and poetry.
Martha hadn’t even seen the last additions to this I had done as she was in Texas when last I worked on it and we have been so caught-up with building giant puppets and installing art shows and such every week that we hadn’t had this kind of time to sit around and do this stuff together… I guess we can blame it on ‘la rain’.  Having done that Martha pulled out some new paintings she had done lately that I hadn’t seen. I did some temp framing in glass frames, as they are on a kind of board that wants to warp if not pressed together, so I could take photos of them. We got that done and the pics look pretty OK.
Then it was on to yet another thing… again, blame it on ‘la rain’. We used our office software to mimic the exact format of the materials Martha is to use for a Hispanic parenting class she is to teach. Problem being the materials she is supposed to use, haven’t all been translated to Spanish. We wanted to keep the format so we did and Martha translated the material herself. She shared that the people who are sponsoring this class are looking at paying big bucks to someone to do the same thing….hmmm… maybe there could be some $ there. Now, there’s an idea. Always thinking creatively ya know.












No comments:

Post a Comment