Thursday, May 19, 2011

Selena, Saving the Earth and Cutting Heavy Metal


Well, today Martha and I are making headway with our art projects. Martha is as I write working with the third graders at Columbia Elementary School in Wenatchee on a two day art project called “I Am the Earth.”  Tomorrow I will go there and get photos of the kids and their work.
 Later today Martha will meet with the fifth graders at Columbia School to get volunteers for her upcoming project through the city of Wenatchee and the Wenatchee Valley Museum and Cultural Center which will be to paint a mural on one of those big ugly electrical boxes in town. The one they will do is at Triangle Park, the same park where the staging area of the Apple blossom Grand Parade is held each year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvNCccsDAcw .
That should be a great project for the fifth graders and a real opportunity for them to contribute to the beautification of their community. I’m sure that project will offer some good photo opportunities as well and I will continue to blog both here and in the World Online about these great kid oriented art projects.
On another note, I have been emailing back and forth with Selena Rose the local 16yr old musical phenom about performing for the Scott Allen Second Saturday Art show Opening at the Cashmere Arts and Activities Center on June 11th. I hope we can get her. She has to ask her [parents….how cute is that.
At my end, I pound that Terry Johnson has exactly the kind of metal cutting equipment that I need to cut one of those chrome metal frames that I want to make a star/sun out of for my recycled material 2.5d mural, and so I will be heading over to terry’s this morning as soon as I finish posting this blog. Also, when I visited Terry yesterday I saw how his Picasso Pot is coming… it’s looks great so far. Hope it comes out well. But, as Terry explained, he sometimes gets anxious to progress on a project and then doesn’t wait long enough between steps and can thereby ruin a piece. So; he has to keep himself busy with multiple pieces going at the same time so he doesn’t get in too much of a hurry with any one project and end up rushing it to ruination.
Isn’t it like that though with so many things for all of us. A good lesson to be learned there.  And, so there it is for today for Rod and Martha and our art projects for today. And, so now it is off to work on art and then to docent at the Two Rivers Gallery.




No comments:

Post a Comment