Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Back in the Saddle Again, Hot Glossy Pieces, Movie Making and Art Shows



Well, it’s been a busy and artful week for Rod and Martha. Martha has had me busy firing a number of pieces in the new kiln… I should say the rebuilt old kiln. The items are mostly stuff produced by the kids she works with at the emergency housing program in town. They are excited I’m sure to have their work turned into glossy fired art.
Martha has also been working on putting together the plans for the upcoming El Salvador Day in Wenatchee.
Meanwhile, I have been making movies all week bases on the photos and videos I took over the weekend covering the Two Rivers Gallery Plein-Air Paint-Out that was coordinated with the opening ceremony for the new Saddle Rock Park in the hills above Wenatchee. 

Artists were encouraged to paint Saddle Rock on the day of the dedication, Saturday July 16th. 10 Artists registered to compete for a $200 Best of show. Other prizes included two $50 gift certificates from Craft Warehouse & a $25 certificate from Nu Arts Gallery.
The painting had to be done in one day & Saturday turned out to be a real challenge. Clouds would let the sun shine only for a few minutes. As the city’s dedication ceremony ended large drops of rain began to fall. Rain became heavy at times into the afternoon, artists would run for cover & emerge again as the painting had to be returned to Two Rivers Gallery by 9pm.
For my part I showed up at Two Rivers Gallery after the painters had left for the event and videoed the gallery. After that I went to Saddle Rock photographing and videoing the hills and the event there. From this I made the first long versions of the movie for youtube.
Some people said it was too long, so I made some shorter versions focusing on the three parts 1) the gallery , 2) the ceremony for the opening and 3) the kids who performed a play for the crowd just be for the opening ceremony.
The Chelan Douglas Land Trust who were instrumental in creating the park later asked that I make a video even more specific for them, which I gladly did. The short movie can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWcycxFJnj4&feature=youtube_gdata
I also, had a big meeting on Friday for the possible opening of a youth center in Cashmere… not sure if that is going to happen.
Here at home I have been experimenting with chrome and glass in the kiln with an eye toward my entry into the Icicle Arts festival Icicle Prize which is to feature art made from recycled materials .
That has been interesting and fun. I think I have created the piece I have been in need of to finished the work I had mostly done but needed one certain bit yet. The art must be entered by august 15th, so I still have a little time to work on this.
Meanwhile, I am looking forward to attending  the opening for Lance Dooley at the Icicle Arts Gallery in Leavenworth on Friday.  Artie Bowman, the director of the Cashmere Arts and Activities Center Gallery had expressed interest in going as well and just called to ask for help earlier that same day to put up work that was moved for the galleries new carpet installation. So, it’ll be work at the gallery the off to Leavenworth for the opening there.
I’ve been invited to attend a birthday party at Gallery 4South that same night, but can’t be in two places at once. I haven’t figured that trick out yet.
Next week will be busy as well. On the 25th
Scott Allen and his wife come to pick-up his art from CAAC and then the art of Charles Collins will arrive and need to be put up. About that same time it will be time to take most of
my work home from CAAC and put some pieces up at Two Rivers Gallery.
Well, enough for now, as it is back to working on my bicycle.




No comments:

Post a Comment