Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Tyler Farrar, Mural, Scuplture and Fun in the Sun


Well, what a fine day it is turning out to be here in Wenatchee, the art capital of the World. I know. I know. It’s the Apple Capital of the World. But; art is closing in at a distant third after outdoor sports I’m sure.

And speaking of sports, it was another artful finish to today’s stage of Le Tour de France, where our own Tyler Farrar also finished third. I know, this is not a sports blog, but bare with me the art part is coming and Tyler is relevant to this posting.

And to that I should explain, that as I watched the Tour this morning at 5am, I sent out an email asking my artist friend Don Collins, if he would like to go for a bike ride after today’s Tour Stage. He got back to me that he needed to help Jan Cook Mack put the finishing touches on the mural they have been working on in Wenatchee on Fifth Street.

Meanwhile, I took yesterday’s firings out of the kiln and was pleased to see how most of them turned out.  I snapped some photos of them and of a couple of Martha’s Guatemalan Girls as well. Martha and I later concurred that one of the glazes is no good. Apparently it has set around too long before it was ever used or something. But, the rest all came out fine.

Well, as it turned out, after the stage and after I returned from a very nice ride on the Apple Capital Loop trail, Martha informed me that she needed to drop off some things in Wenatchee and that she wanted to see the finished mural on Fifth Street.  
So; off we went to these places and we got to the mural just as Jan and Don were finishing up the mural. I got several photos and we all had a great time talking about how the project went and… da,da,da,dahh…. One of the mural segments was of none-other-than our own ….
Tyler Farah racing across the finish line.  Now, how perfect is that.

After, the mural visit, Martha really wanted to ride on her Tryke contraption.  It really is a lot of fun and surprise-surprise it actually works as advertised on TV. So; we continued down the block to the parking lot of the loop by the old Ice Rink.

While there I snapped a few photos of some of the sculptures there along the loop trail.
First and foremost I got a pic of the life-sized bronze by one our other artist friends here in town Mr. William Layman. Bill has also, written a couple of history books about the Columbia River and has contributed to the historical plaque over at Kirby Billingsly Hydro-Park.

After getting a photo of Bills Bronze, I got some pics of the boy with the toy airplane bronze that is so perfect in its depiction of the freedom and joy of being a 10 year old boy.  And, another of the
giant Indian woman also in bronze.
And,

finally a got one good shot of

 a steel or aluminum abstract in a flower bed overlooking the river. All while getting photos of


Martha on her Tryke … OK I admit it I played around on it for awhile too. All good clean fun in the sun here in Wenatchee.

And, so it is time to relax… but oh not for long as Martha is soon heading back to the emergency housing program to take the firings of the kids to them and do some more art work with them no doubt. And, I need to work on my motorcycle… oh joy.

Well, enough for now for Rod and Martha and our artful life.




No comments:

Post a Comment