Sunday, July 24, 2011

Friday Night Fun, Lance Dooley Sculpture, Commemorative Watercolor and More Music by Selena


Well, I have to say that our experience at the Icicle Arts opening for the Lance Dooley exhibit on Friday was well worth the trip.  It came at the end of a fine day of art related activities for us. In the morning I had put some of my photos from our photo safari http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/weblogs/arts-in-the-valley-and-beyond/2011/jul/22/photo-safari/  into a blog that has produced a few complimentary responses from folks who have read it and enjoyed the pictures.

Later having worked on some projects at home with the materials that Terry Johnson, The Crazy Potter, had given to me I prepared to head out to Cashmere to help Artie Bowman put the gallery back together after they had new carpet installed. Martha who had an important meeting met up with me there awhile later.

While at the gallery I took a few pics of some of the artwork by Yuri Konyshev whom we had just met and attempted to speak with in Leavenworth the day before.
Yuri’s English is quite limited and we struggle to find a common language to communicate. Martha tried to speak with him in French as a lot of Russians study French in school there, but to no avail. He laughingly tried just as hard to communicate with us in German. Unfortunately my one year of German in High School failed me miserably, but we sure did enjoy his art and he was a quite a pleasant fellow that we would really have loved to speak with more successfully.

So, with that experience in mind, I made a point of snapping a few photos of his work at CAAC. I also,

got a few pics of some of the other watercolors there,

 before getting down to the business at hand of reinstalling much of the work that had been moved around due to the carpet install.

All good things coming to an end it was also the end of my showing on the Thank You Wall at CAAC.  So, as Martha was meeting us there to then go on to Leavenworth, I had her bring enough materials to pack up my work. I decided to bring it all home as I would like to bring some completely new work for the upcoming show there, and I really want to put some of the art I have had at CAAC into Two Rivers Gallery and change out the piece I have over at Amanda’s Book Store in Wenatchee.

After all the work in Cashmere, it was time to head out to Leavenworth to the Icicle arts Gallery. 
 The sculptures of Lance Dooley were really impressive. I really like his drawings as well.








The whole exhibit was well put together and included a video of Lance demonstrating how he works. And, of course the views from the gallery overlooking the Wenatchee River in Leavenworth only added to the ambiance of the gallery.

While we were there Martha met a number of folks she knew and in fact she and Lance recollected that they had met before and renewed their acquaintance.
Anna Miller, the Director of the Icicle Arts Gallery, was very pleased to meet Martha and spoke with her about showing there and teaching some classes as well.  Artie Bowman, met with Lance as well and had quite a conversation… a future Lance Dooley show in Cashmere perhaps… only time will tell.

Having had a really fine time in Leavenworth on Friday night, it was on to other things for Saturday. 

 Martha worked on a sad but meaningful project. A new friend had told her the story of how she lost a child some time back and asked Martha to produce a commemorative piece for her from some photos of her son. Martha put her heart into it a better part of the day Saturday… and I say it should be a fitting tribute to and memorable celebration of the life that was this young man.

Today, while watching the Tour de France, I posted yet another video of the young singer Selena Rose singing at the art opening at a previous opening at the Cashmere Arts and Activities Center where she had performed A Kiss of the Fist is Better Than None… http://www.youtube.com/user/56Daut?ob=5#p/u  I had skipped that one when I posted video of her previously. Having looked at it again I realized that it really needed to be posted so it is now on 56DAUT on Youtube along with the other songs she performed for the Scott Allen opening.
Well, enough for now, and on to more artful adventures and experience for Rod and Martha.




No comments:

Post a Comment