Monday, July 11, 2011

Dance Hall, Gutemala Girls, Plein Air Art, Live Performance and Making Movies










Well, it’s been another busy week for Rod and Martha and our various art projects. Martha has been painting and preparing her Guatemalan Girls paintings for the upcoming El Salvador Day in Wenatchee. She has been heavily involved with planning meetings on this as well.  Also, she has been continuing her work with the kids at the local emergency housing facility in Wenatchee… doing art work with them. As I am writing this she is there picking up some more clay figures the kids there have made so that I can fire them in the kiln here at home.

And, on the subject of the kiln we have gone through our initial trial and error stage of firing various objects with varied success. Martha had a friend with a lot of kiln experience come by and she left both a collection of various cones for the kiln and detailed instructions for firing various objects. We followed her step by step instruction with good success yesterday and so today we will fire more glazed items for the kids.
Also, this week I took a trip out to Leavenworth to meet with Anna Miller the director of the Icicle Arts Gallery. I had met her and her husband Brian at the previous week’s First Friday show at the Two Rivers Gallery in Wenatchee. I took pics of the environment and the gallery and the art there in while I was there. I also, made a commitment to myself to get back on my bike and ride around Leavenworth while I was there. It is such a beautiful ride. And ride it I did yesterday and I took some more picks with my small camera while I was out there.
Later that same day Martha doned her Giant Puppet outfit once again. This time to entertain the folks at the Apple Sox baseball game. and, of course, I was there to get some pics and video and made a movie which is on Youtube as well.http://www.youtube.com/user/56Daut?ob=5#p/u/7/eXq9dOmUzjQ

I’ve also, been very much involved in trying to put together a youth oriented community center in Cashmere this week. In fact we will be meeting with a representative of Junior Achievement on Friday about possibly having JA as a major component of the project.  The center would go into the upper floor of the same building as the Senior Center in Cashmere. My concept would make use of the fact that there is a dance floor up there. I’m interested to do some historical research to see exactly what was there. Was it a dance studio for classes or, as I suspect, a penny a dance place maybe back in the 1940’s or so. Those were very popular back then. I’m thinking that a JA run facility where young people can have art classes, performances and other really positive youth oriented activities would be great there.

As I was just writing Martha came back with more clay works to fire and firing they are a doing at this moment. Let’s hope they come out good.

This week was also, the board meeting for Two Rivers Gallery. The meeting went well and we got done in a reasonable amount of time. Updates on the possibility of a bike tour of all the First Fridays venues as well as a possible horse drawn carriage tour of the various venues was presented and discussed. The big upcoming thing though is the Plein Air Art contest for the opening of the newest park in the hills above Wenatchee… that being the new Saddle Rock Park which has been a popular place for locals and visitors to hike and photo and sometime paint for years.

Saturday night was of course the Second Saturday event at the Cashmere Arts and Activities Center in lovely Cashmere, Washington. We were so fortunate to not only feature the artwork of Scott Allen from Seattle, but to have Kirk Lewellen, who has written and performed with groups that have performed at the Monterey music festival and Various Blues Festivals and on and on, playing guitar for us. I took several photos of the art and of Kirk and his guitars as well as some video of Kirk playing.  From these, I made a movie and have posted it on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/56Daut?ob=5#p/u/6/jlh5kGuZy6A and sent links to Facebook and such. It was fund and entertaining at the show and as much fun making the movie.

Well, I think it’s time to wrap up and look to doing some real work. So bye for now.




No comments:

Post a Comment