Thursday, April 21, 2011

Finnish Table, Knuckle Rapping, Deadly Spores and Cutting the Bias

Well, it was another fun filled Thursday night in the old break room of the Wenatchee Valley Museum and Cultural Center. Cindy and Bill Rietvelt, Don Collins and Mary Joe Bartholomew and a great bunch of High School kids were all there painting and detailing the giant paper mache’  heads and hands. I went a little too far in detailing a head that was already on the finished table… which later was the” ‘Finnish’ not Norwegian “ table… hahaha … Bill you are a card.
After, having my knuckles rapped for putting too much detail on a miner, I was put on ‘bias’ detail. That is, along with Mary Joe, an artist and Massage therapist who lives in Leavenworth but grew up near Seal Beach in California, I was to cut a large roll of silk ‘on the bias’ meaning at an angle to the fabric. This so that it would not fray. You see the things one learns on a project like this. I for one would never have known that. Any ‘seamster’ or seamstress persons out there I’m sure are thinking everyone knows that…but I didn’t. Anyway, cut away I did and before I left the strips of silk were being put to good use adorning the hats and attire of some of the puppets as they are coming together. Shortly therafter, as Bill was throwing away some moldy looking stuff in the bottom of a bucket, I snapped a couple of pictures of the modern artish looking stuff. Hopefully it wasn't deadly stuff.
It was all good fun and I now know that the giant puppets will certainly be done in time for the Apple Blossom Grand Parade in May. Besides, a miner, a lumberjack, an Indian, a railroad worker and an explorer Bill hinted at a secret puppet character, that he almost told me of. But then, he would only say, that as it is not possible to do all the important historical characters of the early history of Wenatchee, that there would be this ‘secret’ entry….hmmm what/who could it be. I really wouldn’t have told in the blog what or who it would be, but as I said to Bill before I left, I will write about the fact that there is going to be some kind of ‘surprise’ puppet representation.

All-in-all it was great fun, and don’t worry Cindy, my feeling really weren’t hurt..reeeally they weren’t I mean it…hahaha. Seriously, it was all good and a great time was had by all. The snacks weren’t bad either…keep ‘em c’mon.





No comments:

Post a Comment