Saturday, April 9, 2011

Young American Artists and Indi Folk Music

Well, today is already shaping up to be a very interesting and productive day artistically. This morning I drove out to Waterville to take some pictures of a vase made by Terry Johnson, that I was told had the name of the restaurant on it. As I am looking to help Terry promote his art and thought that custom ceramics with logos and or other designs suited to specific business customers could be a good avenue for him to sell more of his ceramics. So, with camera in hand I took the trek over Badger Mountain to the county seat – Waterville, population small and a half. It’s a great little town really. When I got to the Blue Rooster Bakery and cafĂ©, I was pleasantly surprised to find that they not only had ‘the pot’ , but several others of Terry’s and they were in the process of setting up an art show for some young American talent from the towns of Waterville, Chelan and Orondo. Steve Miranda is the featured artist through June 4th. The work was very promising by all the young artists. Joining Steve in this show are Alex Davila, September Raines and Jessica Schank.  A self described ‘Indie Folk’ musician named Joe Moser was provided live acoustic guitar music for the two day opening this weekend. The owners Cathy and Bruce Clark are a very nice ‘semi-retired’ couple who enjoy good art and wanted to provide a place for local artists to exhibit their work. They have had other potters showing and quilters and Bruce himself is no slouch as a photographer. I was fortunate enough to see some of his work while I was there and would like to see him show some of his photos at the Cashmere Arts and Activity Center. After seeing some of my cards that I had with me, Cathy, who really liked my nature / bird photos, mused about the possibility of a future Bird Photo Show. I would really like to show there especially when they are having birders in town (Waterville is a good place for bird spotting). And, not to forget my original purpose in going to Waterville, I did get some good shots of Terry’s pot (s) while I was there and should be able to make good use of those in helping to promote his work.



While on my way to and from Waterville I, of course, took a few outdoor shots. Some of these have some real promise. We shall see after I thoroughly look over them and make any minor adjustments and cropping to see what really works.
Meanwhile after writing this blog I will be heading off to Cashmere for our Second Saturday Art Show and wine tasting. I’m sure looking forward to that…hee haa. I’ve already spoken with Artie Bowman by phone about having Bruce Clark show some of his work at Cashmere one of these times. Thigs as always are looking good for art. Gotta love it.




1 comment:

  1. Rod, Coincidence?? brought you here at the exact time that Steven was preparing for his art show. His Saturday show was a success and we look forward to the Sunday afternoon show. We enjoyed meeting you and discussing your photographic pieces. Thanks for taking the time to showcase both Terry Johnson and Steven Miranda.
    Cathy Clark

    ReplyDelete