Wednesday, April 13, 2011

'We're Just Lumberjacks' Working with High School Girls and Creamy White Stuff

Well it’s been a busy and full filling last few days for Rod and Martha’s Art. Over the weekend…Sunday to be precise, I drove over to Seattle to meet with our good friends Daniel and Xine, who have been holding Martha’s Painting titled “Women Screaming” that was exhibited in the foyer of the Off Jackson Theater awhile back. They have been so helpful in picking it up from the theater wrapping it so nice and keeping it for us. They both thought the painting was so ‘important’ but it gave Xine nightmares. It’s a piece that speaks powerfully to some and really isn’t what most people would want in their living room day after day, but would go more in a themed exhibition or museum. Having met up with these good friends, we went off to Tacoma for the Dive and Travel show at the Convention Center there. While there I got some really good new ideas of what to do with my Dive photos and artwork. More shall be revealed about this later.
Having my sleep schedule thrown off by getting up early to go over the pass to Seattle and staying up late after returning with having drank so much coffee while driving, I was up at 3 am yesterday and so on a whim created a Livestreaming channel that I titled Art News Network, that will present livestraming of our First Friday and Second Saturday and other art events here in Washington as well as the Hip Hop dance scene in Fullerton, CA and thereabouts for those talented Kelly dancers.
Yesterday, I spoke with an artist who is currently showing at a gallery locally about being the featured artist for the CAAC gallery in Cashmere. He was very interested and I gave him the contact info for Artie Bowman about that. His work is excellent and I look forward to seeing him exhibit there. I also spoke with a Geography professor in Oregon, who had set up the web site that features the ceramics of Terry Johnson and took the video of Terry making raku pots that is on Youtube. He is an old friend of Terry’s having grown up in this area. He is an artist himself, though it sounds as if being a professor is taking up a bit of his time right now and likely keeping him from doing as much art as I’m betting he would like to be doing. An interesting fellow, I am looking forward to meeting him the next time he is in town. Together I think we can help Terry get his artwork better known as Terry doesn’t do computer let alone the internet… or cell phone/email for that matter… he’s just a crazy artist… gotta love that about him though.
Yesterday I went through many many photos on my computer to find the ones I want to print and ordered a bunch of large prints…gotta have something to put in all those frames I picked up in CA last month –right? After that it was designing postcards to promote Terry’s Art and Ceramics. That was fun and they look great and I hope will do well for him locally for it will be a limited mailing. After that is was quick run over to the Wenatchee Valley Museum and Cultural Center to work on Giant Puppets with Bill and Cindy Reitvelt, Bill Laymen and a bunch of high school girls. We were all getting that creamy white goopy stuff all over us as we paper mache’d the large heads and hands of the puppets. They are really coming along and with working on them twice a week now I’m sure they’ll be done in time for the Grand Parade. And as we took note of how well the Lumberjack is coming, Bill R. and I couldn’t help but to TRY to sing a verse of “We're just lumberjacks and that’s just fine…” I emphasize the word TRY… Oh well…singers we are not. All in good fun though.








2 comments:

  1. When is this grand parade? It sounds like something to see!

    ReplyDelete