Thursday, April 28, 2011

Seattle Urban Landscape, Mosaic Mural, Art Openings and Tap Tap Buses





Well, today for me it’s Seattle for clay and gritty urban / industrial photos while Martha is taking a class for instructors at the Neighborhood House in a part of Seattle near MLK Blvd. I got a hundred and fifty pounds of Raku clay for Terry Johnson and a hundred pounds of Vashon White clay for Martha. The area where the Seattle Pottery Supply store is located is perfect for getting industrial photo shots especially with railroad tracks and railroad cars.  I got some shots of graffiti. My son Austin will like some of those graffiti shots.
After a nice Caribbean lunch with Martha and the ladies from her class and after taking some pics of the mosaic in the downstairs lobby area of the Neighborhood House I headed out again to get some urban pics. After driving around for awhile I found myself up on Beacon Hill near Forest and 12th St where I got the urban industrial landscape of Seattle from above. From there I thought I could see the Seattle Pottery Store. So for the heck, I zoomed in as far as I could to see if I could get a shot of it. I could also see Alki where I have dived several times with some of my dive buddies from Wenatchee and Seattle. So; of course, I did my best to get a decent shot of that area too from up on the hill. Once I downloaded them into my laptop, I could see more clearly what it said on the side of the building I had been photographing only minutes before. Was it the Seattle Pottery Store…you bet…right on the money. And, I got some decent shots of the port area and of course the Alki Cove dive site.
Having finished with taking photos from up on Beacon Hill, I found my way over to Tully’s Coffee House near The Old Rainier Brewery where I could sit and write this blog. Once online, I got a msg. from one of my nieces about one of my blogs on facebook. While checking that out I found she had also posted a link to a really neat piece on the Tat Tap painted buses of Port –au- Prince Haiti that had aired on NPR:   http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/weather/jan-june10/haiti_03-30.html . It was very enjoyable to watch…I totally get the value of painting the buses with artwork as a means of showing the worth and quality of the driver and how he takes care of his machine.
Just as I was about to write the above bit on Tat Tap buses I got a call from Artie Bowman at the Cashmere Arts and Activities Center. The latest update there is that the Cashmere High School Seniors and the third graders will be exhibiting at the gallery all of May and will likely install around the 6th of May. The May Clay class will be postponed at the center and Scott Allen will install his exhibit at CAAC the first week of June… busy, busy, busy.
Over in Wenatchee, Two Rivers Gallery will be changing out there artwork this coming weekend and be ready for the May First Friday event on May 6th. Lynn Wright Brown is set to be the featured artist there and that looks to be a really good show. Martha Flores will be installing three large oils at the Performing Arts Center on May 4th and will have another 12 to 14 smaller pieces there for  first Friday and all of Apple Blossom Weekend. What a great bunch of art events for May. As soon as I know more about what’s happening in may at the other galleries in Wenatchee I will post that information.





No comments:

Post a Comment