Sunday, April 24, 2011

Puppets, Antique Contraptions, making videos and "I'll Follow You in the Dark" at the Park

Well, it was another fine day for the arts in Wenatchee Saturday. In the old Swing Room of the Wenatchee Museum and Cultural Center, we all worked tirelessly on the Giant Puppets. Don Collins and his Wenatchee High School art students painted away on the heads and hands of the puppets that still needed some detail. One young art student painstakingly glued hair made of vinyl furniture decoration onto the head of one of the puppets, while myself and others lathered sealer  onto completed heads and hands. It was a humorous bit when Bill Rietveldt tried on the frame for one of the giant puppets out in the alley  only to find, as his wife Cindy was so clear to point out, that it bowed just a bit too much. The rest of the day for Bill was spent trying to redo that design problem which entailed another trip to the big box store and still more problems.  “It will get done on time” he insisted as we slowly crawled from one floor to another in the antique elevator of the Wenatchee Valley Museum and Cultural Center.
 As these things go, the holes I had drilled for the wooden portion of the puppets frames were measured to the original pvc pipe and once we were using larger diameter pvc these had to be redrilled… no drill bit big enough to do the job...to the store one more time. Try to use the contraption of a drill press that Bill has had since High School… ahhh… another issue, and still the pipe would not fit. So; to the router tool. Finally to screw the new pvc piece to the old school aluminum backpack frame…. The two boxes of screws already opened… now too short for the new pvc pipe. At about that point Bill was done for the day.
None-the-less a good time was had by all and Bill supplied the all beef franks well before we were finished and we all really needed a break at that point. Thanks to Don Collins for the really good but maybe not so good for us honey glazed peanuts.
Upon leaving and passing through the alley behind the museum, I spotted a number of young musicians and volunteers for the Red Cross Club of Wenatchee High School out in Centennial Park just behind the museum. As I was parked right there, I stopped to listen as a young acoustic guitarist  named Bruce Richardson played “I’ll Follow You IN The Dark” and did a nice job of it.  He was followed by two young country performers Bree Hoffman and Mallory Gillin.
Upon arriving home I preceded to make a video of the day added some music and preceded to create a new Youtube account as my old one no longer works. This is apparently a common problem since Google got involved.  That done I posted the video to Youtube at : http://www.youtube.com/user/56Daut?feature=mhum . I’m still having some difficulty with my livestream.com account…arrrghh!!! Oh well, as I often do, I can just fall back on the fact that “I am old.” But learning all this technology stuff can be said to be keeping me young… I dunno. It sometimes makes me feel really old especially when I can’t get stuff to work the way I want it too. A bit lit Bill and his antique drill press I guess. Hey, maybe I don’t feel so old after all.






No comments:

Post a Comment