Sunday, April 17, 2011

Stars and Stripes, Beaver Pants and Coyote Prance






Well, yesterday was a real mix of the humorous, joyful, hopeful and frustrating. In the morning, I went first thing over to the Wenatchee Valley Museum and Cultural Center to help Bill and Cindy Rietvelt put on their giant puppet outfits for the’ Kids Art Day’ at the museum.  Bill was so happy to share with me that he just got word that the story about the Giant Puppet Project was picked up by Stars and Stripes and has been a hit with service personnel in Afghanistan and I would assume Iraq as well. It was pretty hilarious watching and helping the two of them get into these contraptions.  And, then when Cindy started putting on her Beaver Pants and doing a little beaver pants dance, it was a bit too much. Then walking outside in the alley behind the building and around to the street in front of the museum was a hoot as well. The giant coyote is so tall that it was a bit precarious for Bill waking near trees and signs. The two of them acting it up on the sidewalk was priceless. Inside the museum kids were already taking part in the art activities offered for the’ Kids Art Day’. I really enjoyed meeting up with Sherry Schreck, founder and director of the Short Shakespearians, and a recent recipient of one of Wenatchee’s highest awards for all the years she has devoted to kids and the performing arts here in Wenatchee.  She and a couple of her young actors were down in the giant puppet workroom when I met up with them. They were there to look at the puppets in progress down there, as they are looking to use some of the puppets later as stage monsters and gargoyles…now that’s going to be a site and a performance I am really going to want to see. I had other commitment so; I wasn’t going to be able to stay for the Ugandan Orphans Choir which was to perform at 1pm.  After visiting with Sherry and taking more pictures, it was off to buy a new laptop as my five year old machine is about to die and I sure don’t want to lose all the great photos and blogs and such I have stored there. Having accomplished the computer task it was off to the Cashmere Arts and Activities Center to docent for the afternoon. There were only a few visitors in the hours I was there, so I was able to configure my new laptop, get it onto the wireless network at the gallery and other such things, and still have time to take a few pics with my camera. Now, I need to get all the art related materials off the old beast and onto this new fangled machine and It’s off to the races. Well, off to Lowes to get what I need to plant my Cabernet cuttings which are screaming out to be planted today… yahoo!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment